Light-Emitting Diodes (LED) against High Pressure Sodium Lighting (HPS), advantages and disadvantages.
Probably one of the most intensively discussed topics as for cultivating plants indoors is using LED sources of light. So far not so many growers use it, this number increases drastically week after week. Taking that into consideration it doesn’t come as a huge surprise that enthusiasts ask tons of questions and the important one is comparison of efficiency between LED grow lights and HPS ones.
Check out a more detailed article exploring LED vs CFL vs HPS.
Which Grow Light is cost-effective?
Are they as good in saving your money as they are said? Is it reasonable to spend a great deal of money on LED lights because it will soon result in reducing sums in utility bills? Is there any possibility to force some crops to blossoming in case of necessity just putting them under LED lights? Those questions and discussion make distinct impression that usage of LED lights could be pleasant for environmental protection and wallet also. And hence there’s a need to have a precise look at comparing of HPS lights against LED ones. A great deal of people consider that as probably too fabulous to be real, nevertheless there are certain good reason for choosing LED lights.
LED vs HPS
Being compared with HPS grow sources of illumination, LED ones radiate in different directions. Particularly, the level light and heat intensity that they radiate is surely worth admiring.
- Intensity of Illumination. Usually people tend to worry about the level of intensity LED illumination devices are capable of providing. Being compared with HPS lights the intensity is approximately even. It only means that the standards of these kinds of lights are not appropriate. Being tested LED illumination devices easily outperform HPS ones even when there’s an impression that they produce light of the same level of intensity. While testing LED illumination sources managed to produce surprisingly even yield and they show without any doubt that future progress in the sphere will allow increasing the yield even more, especially in comparison with HPS illumination devices.
- Lifespan. The ordinary HPS device lives for approximately ten thousand hours. That is quite a long period when it comes to cultivating, but LED lights’ period of efficient work lasts so much further. A typical LED light setup can provide good fifty to one hundred thousand hours of work. That corresponds to 15 YEARS of qualitative indoor cultivation which is so much cheaper, and easier than ever before. A great number of people try various combinations of red and blue to get their perfect version for own aim.
- Yield. LED lights have been thoroughly tested on yield over and over. In general, most indoor growers who tend to use HPS lights manage to achieve a yield of .5 grams per watt. Compare this result with the fact that, LED lights usually allow achieving 1g to 1.5g per watt, and it makes the equipment up to three times more efficient. Harvest after harvest, you will have three times more product than you would otherwise!
- Heat. If you keep on using HPS grow lights and have to battle heat non-stop, LED lights with an incredible advantage could be a possible solution here. You may either keep having additional expenses on trying to provide some cooling the hot air around your plants or switch to LED lights which you can place right next to the plant not burning it. Obviously if you grow in cold space extra heat from HPS is certainly an advantage, though sometimes it is easier to heat the space and avoid the risk of burning plants due to HPS lights usage. The heat output of LED grow lights might depend on their size and power, but at the moment current kinds used by numerous growers are just warm to the touch, with none of the burning heat that conventional grow lights unavoidably provide.
- Type Of Light. It is proven that the type of light that LED lights put out also is specifically designed for the blossoming and vegetative stages of plant growth. HPS lights put out the entire wavelength, but LED lights focus on blue and red spectrum that fits the needs of the plant the best.
LED vs HPS Grow Lights: It seems pretty obvious, that in case of precise look at the aspects above you will have no doubt left that LED lights are miles ahead of the current HPS lights. Of course, there are people who trust their old good HPS setup, but if you can afford to switch, it is well worth the trouble. With LED grow lights you get more efficiency, effectiveness,
- Posted by Zion420.com
- On December 28, 2015
- 0 Comments